CBD is famous worldwide as the best natural compound to relieve stress, improve sleep patterns, alleviate depression, and reduce chronic pain. But do you know CBD is also famed for enhancing focus and concentration?
Many think it is counterintuitive since some studies often associate the benefits of CBD with words like relaxation, calm, and relief. But the truth is CBD can help with focus and concentration too.
To better understand the concept of CBD for focus and concentration, you first need a quick review of CBD and how it works. Then, you can understand the benefits of CBD for improving focus and concentration. Let's get started!
What is CBD, and How does it work?
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is one of the cannabinoids found in the cannabis sativa plant. Another prevalent cannabinoid that you can procure from the cannabis plant is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is known to induce psychoactive effects.
According to research on the effects of CBD and THC on the prefrontal cortex (a part of the brain located at the front), the former compound might counteract the psychoactive effects of THC. Another study suggests that the same is likely true for the hippocampus (a complex brain structure located deep into the central brain part).
The prefrontal cortex performs multiple functions, including focusing an individual's attention, predicting the outcomes, regulating emotional reactions, and meditating impulse control. Moreover, the hippocampus is associated with learning and memory. But the question is how CBD can impact your brain.
It is when your body's endocannabinoid system (ECS) comes into the picture. This system is connected with a person's peripheral and central nervous systems. Cannabinoids mimic natural molecules produced by the human body, called endocannabinoids, and thus, they can attach to special receptors present in the ECS.
Simply put, CBD interacts with the ECS' microscopic receptors in the body to enhance multiple bodily functions, such as mood, memory, sleep, stress, and appetite. Ultimately, it helps maintain your physical and mental health. Without a regulated endocannabinoid system, your body can't be in homeostasis (internal balance). And without homeostasis, you won't be able to concentrate or focus on anything. Therefore, it can be said that CBD for focus and concentration is a factual concept that works by regulating your endocannabinoid system.
What Can Cause Poor Focus and Concentration?
- Chronic conditions and pain: Chronic conditions are beyond your immediate control, and these health issues have long-lasting effects. These health conditions include recurring headaches, migraines, fibromyalgia, back pain, arthritis, and nerve damage. If left untreated, such issues can severely impact your ability to focus and concentrate as you will be distracted by pain.
- Lack of sleep and excess stress: In this fast-paced world, many are too stressed and don't get enough sleep. Poor sleep can produce more stress-response hormones, like cortisol, in your body. It can further lead to slower reaction times and impact your comprehension ability. Ultimately, lack of sleep and increased stress can impact your ability to focus and concentrate.
- Medication: Suppose you take medication for any chronic condition or mental health needs. In such a case, side effects of medication may hamper your focus and concentration.
How Can CBD Improve Your Focus and Concentration?
Here's what you can expect from CBD when incorporating the the products into your routine for focus and concentration:
At one point or another, you might experience being too nervous to think and act, especially when in public. You can reduce your anxiety or stress with the help of CBD. But how can CBD help improve your focus in relation to anxiety? The answer is it might offer anxiety relief.
CBD products like CBD softgel capsules or oils have shown promising results when it comes to reducing anxiety brought on by different factors like post-traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety disorder, or stress. By relieving your anxiety and stress levels, CBD silences your mind, allowing you to focus better on the present moment or tasks.
Enhanced cognitive function
Aside from relieving anxiety, CBD can also enhance your cognitive function, improving your mental clarity. As per a few studies, cannabidiol can improve memory processing, among many other mental processes, to give you a much-needed mental boost.
With improved cognitive functioning, you can live your regular life without dealing with issues like burning out doing simple tasks or brain fog.
Improved energy levels
Do you feel tired even after getting enough sleep? It's often caused by poor sleep quality, which happens when you sleep late, suffer from any sleep disorder, or experience sleep disturbance. So, what does sleep have to do with energy levels?
Well, the human body uses sleep to restore its energy levels. If you don't sleep enough, your body will not be able to recover and function properly, lowering your energy levels. When you take pure CBD gummies, CBD works by calming your nerves and mind, allowing you to enjoy adequate, quality sleep. It will further improve your energy levels, leading to better focus on vital things and tasks.
CBD can benefit people who struggle with mood and lack motivation. The compound works by affecting serotonin and dopamine. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, often called the body's natural 'feel-good' chemical. CBD can improve your mood and focus by acting indirectly upon the serotonin receptors present within your nervous system.
In addition, CBD can also positively impact dopamine levels in your brain. Dopamine is a vital neurotransmitter known to carry signals between brain cells. Lower dopamine levels can lessen your motivation, concentration, and attention levels. CBD can improve your focus by triggering the right receptors in the ECS to balance the dopamine levels in your body.
How Can You Take CBD for Focus and Concentration?
Now that you know the significance of CBD for focus and concentration, you should know how exactly to take or use the compound. Fortunately, CBD is available in the form of different products:
- CBD tincture: You can take the CBD tincture sublingually, meaning place the drops under your tongue. Use the provided dropper and deliver the desired serving under your tongue. Hold it for about 15 to 30 seconds. You can incorporate CBD into your morning and afternoon routine.
- CBD capsules: Another popular method to add CBD into your routine for improving focus is swallowing CBD capsules. Many reputed brands formulate CBD capsules for better alertness. These capsules usually combine the health benefits of CBD with other cognitive enhancers to improve your brain functions.
- CBD gummies: Like CBD capsules, CBD gummies offer the same discretion and portability but are available in various delicious flavors. Moreover, these gummies allow you to take the correct dosage of CBD to improve your focus and concentration without any side effects.
- CBD relief rubs: If you are seeking localized relief for your joint and muscle aches, CBD pain relief rub or cream can do the trick. Chronic pain can distract you, not letting you concentrate on crucial tasks. Applying relief rub on painful areas can reduce your pain. You can also apply CBD cream on your forehead for improved brain functions.